Monday, July 12, 2010

Two novels

I just finished reading Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon. If you haven't read it, I urge you to do so. I urge you to read any and all of her books actually, though I've only read three myself. I intend to read them all over the next few years.

I went from Morrison to Karl Marlantes, who wrote the new best-seller Matterhorn, which is hot right now. Reading some of the reader reviews I was struck by the number of people who used the word "art" to describe the novel.

I like the book so far - only about 75 pages into it - but I would not describe it as art. Those people should read Morrison if they want to experience art.

I think I will end up recommending Marlantes' novel, but it isn't in the same league as any of the Morrison books I've read. That, my friends, is art.

No comments:

Post a Comment