Monday, July 5, 2010

When rejections are priceless

Most of us don't have the money to have our manuscripts read by an editor, or at least read by an editor who could really add to our chances of getting an agent or getting published.

So that's why it helps to be "lucky" enough to get rejected by some agents who will tell you a bit about why they didn't go for your work.

I recently got a rejection from Liz Jote of Objective Entertainment. Liz had this to say:

Dear Phil,

Thanks for the look, but I think this is going to be a pass for me. Unfortunately, though I thought the plot was intriguing, the narrative didn't grab me as much as I would have hoped.


I sent Ms. Jote a number of pages - I think 50 - to look at. This gave her something by which to judge my writing.

So the narrative sucks, huh? Well this is important. She likes the plot, but my execution of the plot turned her off.

Invaluable, I tell you. I wish all rejections came with just one line, but then most don't ever read your work, just your query letter.

This rejection, though, made my day.

Yours in rejection,

Phil

1 comment:

  1. Are you just sending out queries or are you sending a Proposal? I have a great outline for proposals.

    ReplyDelete