Tuesday, November 2, 2010

One-third through the process

I crossed the 30,000-word mark last night in writing, which means I am almost certainly more than a third through my latest rejection project.

I say "one-third" because I don't start out with a particular word-count in mind. I cannot imagine that this would go to 90,000 words. In fact, this might be closer to 70,000, so I could be almost half-through.

I know - sorta - what has to happen between now and the end but there are always changes as you write. What's in my head might look goofy on paper, so I back it up and go to another path. In this way, writing is a maze you are trying to work out in your mind. What is the proper way out?

You go down a lot of dead-ends in preparing a rejection project.

This one is much different than the first two, which had to be classified as "mainstream" fiction, the most difficult area crack. This is genre fiction, which is to say mystery and suspense, heavy on the suspense side.

It is supposed to be a bit easier to get into, but I am not counting on that. I did want to do something different, just to see if I could get a different result.

We'll see.

Rejection project status: 30,248 words in 105 pages.

Yours in rejection,

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment