Thursday, June 24, 2010

On reading and writing

I don't think even if you are feverishly writing on an idea you should ever give up reading good literature.

Not all of what I read could be considered literature, exactly, but most of it is. Sometimes I just have to dumb myself down and read a bit of science fiction or a pot-boiler mystery. Not that I'm criticizing that writing - those authors have accomplished more than I have and they often have a great following of loyal readers.

But can you be a great writer if you don't read great literature? I doubt it. If you think you can't find any you like, you haven't looked around enough. If you don't know how to find it, I suggest reading book reviews. Or, one thing I do if I'm browsing a bookstore with no title in mind is look for this on a book: "A New York Times Notable Book."

I have not once been disappointed.

But take any of my advice with caution. I am a writing reject.

Your in rejection,

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment