Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Online writing groups

Probably, out there somewhere, a good online writing group exists.

I haven't found it yet and each one of the half-dozen I've been a part of has been disappointing.

The concept is good. People you don't know read your work and give you valuable feedback, something you can't get from friends (see an earlier post about that).

The problem is none of the groups has a good way to match the writing levels of those doing the critiques with the writers.

So you could easily have a high school student reading your work. I don't mind that, but when the bulk of those critiquing are not anywhere close to a target audience it seems like a waste of time.

I quit the last one I was in after I got a critique that included a notation from the writer that he "suspected" I was using too many commas.

OK, great. Thanks a lot for that. I'll go remove half of them at random.

Here's how it could work: If five or six people at about the same writing level formed a group and when you needed something read you could get five opinions on it. If a site like this exists I have not found it.

Yours in rejection,

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment