Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A good friend

OK, I make light of rejection and the truth really is I don't take myself all that seriously. I take my writing seriously, but not myself. I put everything I have into my writing and you should, too. It is what matters.

But every now and then rejection does get to be a drag and I have to force myself to plow forward, get past the, "why the hell am I doing this" arguments and just write. In times like these I tell myself that at least I am leaving something behind for my kids to read.

My father left me poems he wrote and they are among my most treasured memories.

I had a few friends read "Lost in Translation," my second novel. They were people I picked who were well-read.

After the dismal failure of that manuscript to pick up any interest whatsoever, I've set it aside. I thought it was decent, the agents did not. I respect that decision.

But my friend, who is a published author and playwright came to my office, sat down and quietly said this:

"I don't think I ever told you this, but Lost in Translation is a very good novel. You have written something special and you need to know that."

A good friend and sometimes it helps your soul to listen to friends instead of the critics.

Yours in Rejection,

Phil

1 comment:

  1. You need to listen to all your friends more often.

    ReplyDelete