Friday, October 8, 2010

On poetry

As nearly as I can tell I have written 55 poems, all fairly close to completion. I say close because whenever I open one and begin to look at it I usually start tweaking it.

I have had one of the poems "published," so to speak, in an online zine, but I have not really spent that much effort trying to get any of them published. I don't think poetry is my strongest talent (to say the least), but I love reading poetry and I also enjoy writing it, so it is almost something I do for a change of pace. A sorbet for my mind.

Besides, not everything has to be written with the intent of publication. Some things can specifically not be written for anything but to get something out of your head.

A friend once asked me to post some of the poetry here, but the rules of "publication" would turn every poem posted into a "published" piece. That means no one else would consider it for publication. I probably will never even try to get most of it published but at least I want the option!

Yours in rejection,

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment